The ECONYL® Regeneration System is the world's most efficient industrial system for the production of Nylon 6 from 100% regenerated waste materials. Conceptualized and designed entirely by the Aquafil Group, with an investment of nearly 25 million €, this innovative system was introduced in 2011 to produce Nylon 6 polymers from:
- Post-consumer waste (i.e. end-of-life products) made from Polyamide 6 including fishing nets, fluff (the top part of carpets and rugs) and rigid textiles
- Pre-consumer waste such as oligomers, scraps and others generated from the production of Nylon 6.
– Infinite, as the Polyamide 6 waste can be regenerated an infinite number of times to produce new polymers with technical characteristics and quality equivalent to products obtained from fossil materials;
– Innovative, as it is the only system of its kind anywhere in the world in terms of efficiency and productivity;
– Sustainable, as it recovers waste which would otherwise end up in landfills or oceans (fishing nets), causing serious damage to the entire ecosystem. It also enables real savings in terms of natural resources — about 70,000 barrels of oil per 10,000 tons of regenerated caprolactam produced — as no virgin caprolactam is used to produce it (as in common Nylon).
One of Aquafil’s strategic objectives is to create and distribute high quality products with lower environmental impact. To this aim, it is essential to measure environmental performance in order to gain a better understanding of which phases of the life cycle need to be improved. Therefore, for over three years Aquafil has used life cycle assessment (LCA) as a tool for determining the environmental impacts of its products.
The LCA approach has shown that most of the environmental impacts generated when manufacturing nylon thread result from the production of raw materials.
This has led to the development of the ECONYL® Regeneration System which has enabled us to substitute non-renewable virgin raw materials with secondary raw materials made of recycled waste products such as end-of-life fishing nets and used carpet fluff.
We constantly strive to develop products and processes with measurable reduced environmental impacts. To do so, it is necessary to keep the production chain under control, including all phases and activities inside and outside our factory boundaries.
In recent years, this has led us to work closely alongside our suppliers, developing a cooperative relationship based on transparency and shared commitment to sustainability.
In 2015, the desire to make the ECONYL® supply chain even more virtuous has prompted us to launch the ECONYL® Qualified Project, an initiative for the recognition of excellence and environmental stewardship; thanks to some pilot projects, that were carried out in collaboration with some of our main suppliers, “ECONYL® Qualified” was developed, which sets sector-specific qualification for suppliers.
At present, the application is voluntary and the supplier’s eligibility as ECONYL® Qualified is subject to the fulfillment of certain environmental requirements; starting from July 2018, the qualification protocol shall be met by all the suppliers involved in the ECONYL® yarn production chain.
01. APPLY FOR MEMBERSHIP by sending an email to [email protected]
02. Sign the DATA HANDLING AGREEMENT that will be sent to you: it is needed to protect your privacy!
03. Send us a synthetic EVALUATION DOCUMENT certifying your compliance with the requirements established in the ECONYL® Qualified Protocol. The document must include your company’s description and the assessment of your environmental performance based on the KPIs described in the Protocol.